Beware the Peter Solomon Phone Number

In The Lost Symbol, a phone number for Peter Solomon is mentioned (page 14 of my copy) which is not the usual fake '555' number, but in fact a real one (not to be confused with the SymbolQuest competition phone number that can be deciphered from the cover code). Plenty of people have tried calling it, generally just getting a voice mailbox for 'Peter Solomon' at which they could leave a message. However, soon after publication some strange things started happening, with people getting callbacks, messages to drive to certain locations, and different numbers to call (see the comments beneath this story).

One of those that received a callback was Cryptex member 'Thothamon', who was told to visit a location 5 hours drive away in order to receive a signed copy of The Lost Symbol. Rather than blindly following orders, Thothamon dug further into the issue, emailing Doubleday about the callback, and found that it is likely that the phone message system was hacked, and is now compromised. This is the response he got back from Doubleday:

Please do not go to this location. This is an absolute hoax and we are looking into this as is the Random House legal team. Somehow someone with very bad intentions hacked into the phone number message system of the number published in the book.

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I will be in touch as I learn more.

So - *do not* call the Peter Solomon number in the book! Thanks to Thothamon for the heads-up.

9 comments

Comment viewing options

Anonymous wrote 7 years 30 weeks ago

Stupid people...

That's REALLY disgraceful.... Just to say. *darned people*

Anonymous wrote 7 years 30 weeks ago

yeah

I had a phone call from the "assistant" who was angry...

Thothamon wrote 7 years 29 weeks ago

One Nice Thing

I did hear further from the people at the publishers and they seem to have the situation handled now. Also, one neat thing -- they said they'll be sending me a signed copy as a reward for alerting them and helping them solve the problem! So, I'm a happy camper!

Anonymous wrote 7 years 29 weeks ago

i got a call..

Hey,
Random house called me too.. I called the day after you did.. Did not get a chance to call earlier but I gave them the information I had from the other person who called me. Glad that they have the situation under control. Now I just need to see how the contest goes..

Anonymous wrote 7 years 29 weeks ago

Me too..

Got a call from Random House as well. Called them last week and told them the 740 phone number and about the call that I received. No book for me but that does not matter. Glad that some ground has been cleared on this hacker crap. Now I just have to wait and see about that contest...

Anonymous wrote 7 years 25 weeks ago

I just called it

should I be worried?

Greg wrote 7 years 25 weeks ago

Should be fine

Anonymous wrote:
should I be worried?

I think, from reports I've heard, that the problem was fixed. So should be ok.

Anonymous wrote 6 years 22 weeks ago

i called the number right

i called the number right when i saw it in the book so i decided to look it up on the internet and i find this ha it would of freaked me out if i got a call back

Anonymous wrote 5 years 24 weeks ago

cant be

It can't be too fixed because i got a voicemail from the office of peter solomon

Please register or login to post a comment.